Image Map

January 3, 2014

My First Driving Experience

Happy New Year!
I've been reading some other blogs and they are all writing down their hopes and dreams for the year 2014.
I'm not.
>>>not yet anyways!

The best way to start a new year is to laugh!
So I figured my first post of 2014 should be about a funny/terrifying experience that I had this break.

** Driving for the first time in 4 1/2 months**

That leads me to first discuss our vehicle.
When Joshua first got down here at the beginning of December, we had discussed possible vehicles to buy. Joshua is very much a truck guy. So what did we get?
A green, GMC truck.



Joshua thought this was the perfect truck, but as soon as we got it, we had some unexpected problems. But thanks to his mom and dad (Rob), we got it fixed.
In-laws are great, let me tell ya!

Now granted, I am not a truck person. The first vehicle was a GEO Tracker if that says anything about me. I go for the small, sporty vehicles. - not the long, big vehicles. They scare me. So as soon as he got it, I just knew there was no way I wanted to drive it.

One night, a night or two before New Years, Joshua got off work and we decided to go to the store in Seward. Really just so I could get out of the house.
Anyways, as we were walking out of the house, Joshua tells me that he wants me to try driving tonight.
 I laughed. In his face.

If there is anything you need to know about Joshua, it is this: never, ever drive with him.
He is very much a backseat driver. He won't disagree with me on this one.
When we were back in IL, I never drove. If you saw Joshua and I in the car, it was always, always him driving. There is a reason for that.

So when he suggested I drive, my first reaction was laughter because I seriously thought he was joking. As much as I hate driving with Joshua, he hates me actually driving even more.
But when I looked at him, I saw how serious he was.
I thought to myself that this will not be a good experience. 
Driving at night, in a town that I don't really know, with my backseat driver as a husband, with snow and ice on the road, when I haven't driven in 4 1/2 months - perfect.

We live about 10 minutes from town. That 10 minutes was the longest drive of my life.
>>First problem - I didn't even shut my door all the way. The whole drive I just felt wind coming through my door and could hear nothing but the sound of it whooshing past us.
>>Second problem - The roads are so curvy. The road leading to our house winds back and forth. I have rode in the passenger seat plenty of times on this road, but to drive it is a whole new experience. Which leads to the third problem…
>>Third problem - The road is not well lit. At all. Driving those winding roads, with no light, makes it so tough to see if you are even on your correct side of the road. Which leads to my fourth problem.
>>Fourth problem - A backseat driver for a husband. Granted, he doesn't want to die himself. So the whole time he was trying to "guide" me along. But at the time, I took it as him screaming at me the whole 10 minutes and not being patient with me.

Needless to say, as soon as I parked the car, I gave him the keys. That was my first and only time driving in 4 1/2 months and will be till May. Am I 15 again?!

Just so you get the full effect of how awful this experience was in our lives, we have reenacted our positions in the car that we held that whole 10 minute drive. 


Note: Although this seems a little dramatic, and they might be, this was our remembrance of that night.

1 comment:

  1. I love you guys! You are soooo much better than reality tv! It makes my morning when you have a new post! Be safe kids. We are praying for you! Truly we are! Love Pat and Les

    ReplyDelete