Image Map

September 24, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: Spicy Quinoa with Black Beans, Corn, and Lime

Joshua and I did it right by using this meal plan!
We've had good, home-cooked meals that have been appetizing and easy.
We are running low on food, so this weekend we are headed to Anchorage.
Now the choice is what to get... 
I'm thinking maybe this meal plan, or one that involves a ton of soups.
I married the right man when I married Joshua. I never knew someone could love soup as much as I do. We are soup fanatics. And with this weather... it's perfect outside for a nice bowl of soup, don't ya think?
Decisions, decisions...

Anyways, my recipe this week was one I made a few weeks ago, and I plan to make again maybe Thursday or sometime this weekend. Have you ever cooked with Quinoa before? Does it scare you a little bit? I have to admit, I wasn't sure how to even pronounce it when I wrote it on my grocery list. Pretty sure Joshua and I had a lengthy discussion in the car to Anchorage, trying to figure out the different ways to pronounce it. And after awhile, you just sound weird saying one word over and over and over again. So we gave up. And that was just the pronunciation of the word.. How was I going to cook this?
Now you are all probably thinking, "It has to be just as easy as cooking rice." Ha, because I'm sure for most of you, cooking rice is easy. Not all of us think so. I am the worst when it comes to cooking rice. It doesn't even matter if it comes in a box or a bag. Ask my college roommates, Jordan and Erin. Ask Joshua today. I always, always burn it. I don't know why. We are having a couple over tonight for dinner and we will be making chicken fried rice. And by we, I mean Joshua, because I don't want to scare them off with burnt rice the first night we get together. It's a serious problem.
So you can imagine my hesitation when I picked up this bag of quinoa.

But it was AWESOME! Seriously. It was so yummy and so easy to cook with! I dare you to try it... you will thank me later.

Spicy Quinoa
with Black Beans, Corn, and Lime

Ingredients:

- 4 cups water

- 2 cups quinoa

- 2 tsp minced garlic

- 1 15 oz. can corn

- 1 15 oz. can black beans

- 1 tbsp minced onion

- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes

- 1 tsp ground cumin

- salt and pepper to taste

- juice from 1 lime, optional

Directions: 

- In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil and then add the quinoa. Return to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and cover for 15 minutes.

- Once the little white rings have started to separate from the grain (about 15 minutes), add the crushed garlic, finely chopped onion, drained can of corn, undrained can of tomatoes, drained and washed black beans, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. 

- Squeeze the juice of 1 lime and stir. Let simmer another 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered until ready to serve. 

*The original recipe calls for kidney beans. I only had black beans. They tasted just fine. 
**The original recipe calls for cilantro. I would have definitely added this, because who doesn't love cilantro, but I didn't have any at the house, and I wasn't about to drive 15 minutes to town just to get some. Although, maybe next time, I will. Just saying. 
***In the directions, I had no idea what it meant by "once the little white rings have started to separate". But once you start cooking, you'll understand. Promise.

We paired this spicy quinoa with some fresh halibut and asparagus and had the best dinner. Be prepared to really enjoy cooking quinoa!




What have you been cooking lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment