Image Map

October 8, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

Snow flurries. Let me repeat that. Snow flurries.
Yes, today was our first snow of the season.
Granted, it was a light snow flurry where you had to second guess if it was really snowing or not when you looked outside the window. But it definitely was... it was snowing. It's October 8th. Oh winter, you are coming way too fast.

And not to mention, I screwed up dinner tonight. I was going to make chicken pot pie - an easy biscuit version - and went grocery shopping after work. I got everything, plus more, except biscuits. I forgot the main part. So instead we are going to have a frozen pizza - which is exactly why we got them - for times like these.
But not all is lost. I found a great homemade apple cider recipe from Oh, Simple Thoughts, another blog I follow. It's bubbling as we speak. I can't wait to be sipping on that tonight and forgetting my meal plan mess up!

But I did not mess up on this recipe I fixed on Monday. Again, this recipe was adapted from this Costco Meal Plan and made enough for two days worth of leftovers for Josh and me. Add tortilla strips, sour cream, and cheddar cheese...yum!



Ingredients:

- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 2 15.25 oz cans corn
- 2 15 oz cans black beans
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- tortilla strips
- shredded cheese
- sour cream

Directions:

- I followed this ranchero chicken recipe for my base. I cooked my chicken breasts, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning on Sunday. 
This was nice because I had half of it to use in this recipe but then I also have the other half to use in another recipe!
You can also just cook it all together! 

- Put half of the chicken/tomato sauce/seasoning mixture in the crock pot. Add all the other ingredients, besides the tortillas and corn, and cook on low for 8 hours.

- Before eating, add the tortilla strips, sour cream, and shredded cheese.

- Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment