Image Map

January 17, 2014

A Blizzard for my Birthday

…unfortunately, not the Dairy Queen kind. …ha…ha.

Mother Nature decided last night and today that it was the perfect time for my first Alaskan blizzard. 
Last night, I seriously thought my house might fly away. 
If you've seen pictures of it, you know it could happen!
The wind was blowing so hard and made my house shake so much, even my bedside lamp was rattling!

So this morning when I finally got out of bed, I decided to really put my snow gear on.
And good thing I did, because the snow was blowing and the wind was howling.
I think it was blowing around 35 mph.. the strongest I've ever seen (and felt)!
The morning especially was really bad. The principal wanted at least 75 students at school to actually consider it a school day. I know in the elementary hall we only had 47 students today - whereas my two classes usually are about 21. Parents were cautious sending their kids to school - and with good reason. The morning was the worst of it, where I couldn't even see the tank outside my window - on a normal day, it would be crystal clear.
Here is a picture of when it finally settled down:

The red tank to the left - that's the one I couldn't see!

Even on my way to school, I had to go a different route. These huge snow drifts piled up and came up to my hip, maybe a little lower. Here is a picture of it I took after school:



Like I said, this made me take another route to school, so that was like what? 5 seconds more of a walk? ugh…
But trust me, in this weather, 5 seconds can seem forrr-eevv-eerrr.

Here are some other pictures of the huge snow drifts on my way home from school -






But if you can't enjoy the snow than you are definitely in the wrong state! I walked over to Betsy and Kim's house and I saw kids playing outside. What were they playing on, you may ask?!
snow tunnels!


Illinois hardly gets any snow. I have always wanted to make an igloo or something like that, but it just doesn't happen in the southern part of that state. So as soon as I saw these kids playing and crawling through it, I knew I had to try it. 


 ^^ Kimberly
 ^^Betsy

^^Moi

I definitely felt like I was in Alaska today. I have been waiting and waiting for the weather to get bad, because... it really hasn't been. This winter is definitely a mild one. Everyone keeps saying that I am expecting it too much so it's not going to happen.
I guess I wasn't expecting it to happen on my birthday, so of course, it did!

By the way… thanks to everyone who wished me a happy birthday. I had a great day celebrating my first Alaskan snow storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment