Image Map

August 6, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: Baked Honey Sesame Chicken

One night, I decided to try to cook Sesame Chicken for dinner.
I had never attempted Chinese before, and Joshua had his doubts.
He really thought there was no way I could make some Sesame Chicken as good as the restaurants.
Boy, oh boy, I love proving people wrong.
And I'm serious, this was just as yummy as what you would find in a restaurant. It even had the crunch. Do you know what I mean? Try it and you'll find out!
Baked Honey Sesame Chicken

Ingredients:

- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil

Sauce:
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar ... I actually did not add this. Oops
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
*Additional sesame seeds for garnish ... I did not do this as well. What? No sesame seeds on Sesame Chicken?? The Sesame oil still makes it, right? Still good either way!

Directions:

- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.

- In separate bowls, place cornstarch and slightly beaten eggs. Dip chicken into cornstarch then coat in egg mixture.
I felt like this step MADE the chicken the perfect crunchiness!

- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned. Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 greased baking dish.

- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, minced garlic, and 1 tbsp cornstarch. Pour over chicken and bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

* Make sure to stir the chicken every 15 minutes so that it coats them in the sauce.
** I served mine over white rice.

The only best Chinese I've ever made!

  I felt like this was the most important part. The cornstarch before dipping it into the egg! ^^
Look at the gooey goodness of the egg! ^^

 Can't ya see how that egg gives it that crunch I've been talking about?! ^^




The finished product, minus the sesame seeds. Oops. ^^

What have you been cooking lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment